"The most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity, and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, and a deep loving concern. Beautiful people do not just happen."

4.02.2008

Six Degrees of Separation...and my 15 minutes of fame!

From Wikipedia...


"Six degrees of separation refers to the idea that, if a person is one step away from each person he or she knows and two steps away from each person who is known by one of the people he or she knows, then everyone is an average of six "steps" away from each person on Earth."


Want to know a cool feeling? Pulling into the garage at work and then hearing your name on the radio, but not only hearing your name but also hearing the words you typed here on the blog being read by the DJ! That is a way cool feeling! It all comes down to this theory of Six Degrees of Separation. Of course, God is the ultimate one we are all connected to. But what's fascinating is how we are all connected, somehow in someway. For me, Lymphoma has been my connection to hundreds of people I would normally never have met before. There are people all across the world who deal with this one little blood cancer. During my battle the first time around, I was more in denial and felt reassured by my doctors at how this was curable and how lucky I was to have the "easy" cancer. So I went about my business treating this cancer like it was some sort of flu I had to get rid of. It wasn't until I relapsed within a year of treatment and underwent my stem cell transplant that my whole world changed - literally my core was shaken and sadly it needed to be. At that point, it was important to reach out to others who have been there, survived it and for those who were struggling it alongside me. There's nothing like being in the 10% population and feeling so alone, wondering why treatment didn't work for you. I thought what a lonely journey this can be at times, even though you are surrounded by family and friends. But in reality, you are not alone and there has and always will be someone who has walked a similar path.

Ok, so back to the morning show on KSBJ. Mike and Susan are an incredible on-air team. I'm fairly new to the station as a listener, but immediately I loved it and have yet to switch stations. I love hearing them on the way to work, Susan cracks me up (could be because we're birthday twins!) and I have stumbled across Mike's wife's (Becky) blog and from there came across several other wonderful blogs (not to mention awesome deals, thank you Becky!). That's how I realized one of Becky's dear friends has non-hodgkin's lymphoma. It seems we all run around in the same circle of lymphomaniacs...LOL! And that is how this nobody who won a CHI was a somebody for a few minutes this morning.

It really is such a small world, isn't it?

Much love to all,
Brandy

No comments: