"The most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity, and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, and a deep loving concern. Beautiful people do not just happen."

8.10.2007

CBC blood work today...

And my counts are as normal as they can be!! They all came up within the normal range and I feel good. The nurse practioner was really impressed with how the treatment was going. I keep waiting for the rug to be pulled out beneath me, but so far so good. She said treatment number 2 should be the same as the first one, although my hair will be starting to fall out...so no barber visit just yet. :)

I just finished reading Lance Armstrong's It's Not About The Bike, (thanks Deb for the book!) and I am not only in awe at what he overcame, but I am truly inspired. I felt myself nod in agreement towards his reaction to cancer, treatment and remission. It's amazing how no matter what type of cancer you have, the survivors all face the same questions and fears. There's something universal to how we react after treatment is over. For me, that is the hardest part of living with cancer. I seem to be my strongest and most self-assured while undergoing treatment, I know the chemo is ridding the cancer from my body. I know I am cancer free at that moment in time, 100% sure. It's the daily living afterwards that is the hardest. The fear that every cough or cold could mean a relapse, not being monitored by your doctors every week, but now every few months, coming down off the adrenaline rush of being in survival mode throughout treatment. Reading his book only assured me that my feelings are completely normal. I highly recommend it, it's an easy and fast read and you come away with more respect for him not only as a cancer survivor but as an athlete, his ability to win all the Tour de France's he has won after cancer treatment. If he can come back from the brink of death and become an amazing cyclist, I can certainly beat this and live a full life as well.

Love,
B

No comments: